Sunday, September 18

Ovi magazine; Sunday September 18th, 2022 – International Equal Pay Day

The articles, the opinions, the stories, the poems and the cartoons Ovi magazine covers for Sunday September 18th, 2022 – International Equal Pay Day

International Equal Pay Day, celebrated on 18 September, represents the longstanding efforts towards the achievement of equal pay for work of equal value. It further builds on the United Nations’ commitment to human rights and against all forms of discrimination, including discrimination against women and girls.

Across all regions, women are paid less than men, with the gender pay gap estimated at around 20 per cent globally. Gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls continue to be held back owing to the persistence of historical and structural unequal power relations between women and men, poverty and inequalities and disadvantages in access to resources and opportunities that limit women’s and girls’ capabilities. Progress on narrowing that gap has been slow. While equal pay for men and women has been widely endorsed, applying it in practice has been difficult.


Of stars and hands #ShortStory #Fiction by Abigail George

Carol was my mother’s sister. She was the oldest. Mr Vincent Rhodes was an only child, Carol’s son. When you live with manic depression you live both a life and a half-life. On the one hand, you live with your stone voice just as well as you do with the mask of deceit and deception. You all are my greatest happiness. If my mother has never known that, then if she reads these words she will know that now. She is my wish fulfilment. Memory is touch and glory. Memory is a glass ceiling, rock, paper, and scissors. It is I who permits my mind to feel. Permits it to feel the tracks of sadness like rain. The heavens opening up to meet me. I’ve learned that you are never prepared for wisdom. To keep my senses alive I must watch you, dance within your blind reach mum. Your village ravishes me. You’re everywhere. Your summer mouth. My soul mourns in dreams. My soul speaks to me in fragments of silence. I cannot change what I am. It is only at the end of the world when we realise what the meaning of betrayal is, decay, death, and solitude. It dies with us the same way our instinct does. My mother plays the piano in the morning. I can see where all her focus is streamlined to the page in front of her. Once I could decipher those notes but that is when I was a child. Our love is intense. Does she know that I would die for her? That I, I would die a succession of deaths for her. You’re emptiness and instant. To me my mother is spontaneity. Gossip never scratched the surface of ears, lips, teeth in our house.

Continue reading HERE!


Moon Morphs #ecosophy by David Sparenberg

“Moonlight is not only white. If She Who Watches weeps, looking out on this conflicted Earth,
are Moon’s tears equivalent to Earth-rain?”

Continue reading HERE!


AntySaurus Prick #046 #cartoon by Thanos Kalamidas

For more AntySaurus Prick, HERE!

For more Ovi Cartoons, HERE!


Ovi magazine
We cover every issue
!

No comments: