Saturday, March 1

Warmest winter of all time in Finland


It is on the news: in most parts of Finland, the ongoing winter has been the warmest ever measured since the beginning of regularly recorded readings. According to the Finnish Meteorological Institute, the mean temperature from December through February was approximately 1°C higher than in the previous record mild winter of 1924-1925. When comparing the present winter with the average of the period from 1971 to 2000, the temperatures were as much as 4 to 6.5 degrees higher, depending on the area.

Shouldn't that be a warning for everybody? Why it looks like the governments and the states don't give a damn? All the signs of global warming are just here. When I first came to Finland it was November, temperature -25 and the snow reaching my knees and that was Helsinki. Most of this year I had just a ...t-shirt under my jacket!!!

It might sound melodramatic but I felt more the change when my daughter complained that she couldn't have a ...snowman and of course Xmas this year was far from white.

No comments: